Thursday, August 18, 2011

Picture This: How Pictures Work

Picture This: How Pictures WorkPicture This: How Pictures Work by Molly Bang

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I discovered this book on Penelope Trunk's website.  I don't usually go for books like this and almost didn't read it before returning it to the library.  But I am sure glad I did.  And be sure to read the whole thing (i.e. the introduction) it explains it all.

This was such a fascinating book and you will never look at art, pictures, etc. the same.  I inhaled this book.  I wish I could renew it to be able to read it again and again and refer back to it.  It's that amazing. 

It's not difficult reading but there are some serious concepts in it that will change how you think about perspective. 

Seriously, one should read this in grade school, high school, college, our 30s, 40s, 50s, etc. 

This would make a great book club pick.  It's not a long read but thought provoking.  Everyone could bring one of their favorite pictures, artwork whatever and talk about how it speaks to them and how they think about it after reading the book.  Wouldn't that be a fun book club, different than the usual stuff?

If your library doesn't own this book buy it - it's only $11 on Amazon.

View all my reviews

No comments: