Sunday, November 2, 2008

October Book Review

Most everyone who knows me knows that I am passionate about books. I love books. I love fiction books, biographies, non-fiction, and most any type with the exception of short stories. I mean really what's the point of a short story. I like devoting time getting to know the characters & their dilemmas, etc. But this post isn't about my thoughts about different literary mediums; it's about what I read the previous month.


I read a lot. I count listening to an unabridged audiobook as reading too. I usually average about 12 books a month. Remember no kids, pets & a SO who works out of town for 14 days a month leaves you a lot of free time. So at the beginning of each month I will post about the top three books (in no particular order) I read during the previous month. Please let me know if you've also read these picks or have other suggestions. I am always looking for something new to read.


This month I read 13 books. Mostly fiction there were only two non-fiction titles.


Cover the Butter by Carrie Kabak

I listened to this book. The narrator was Kate Reading. She is a great reader, very good with accents. This is a story takes readers through Kate Cadogan's life from her controlling & manipulative mother, Biddy, to her lonely marriage with Rodney. She devotes herself to creating the perfect home and raising her beloved son Charlie. At times I wished she would stand up to her parents and live the life she wanted but overall I thought the story was engaging and enjoyable.




Girl's Guide to Witchcraft by Mindy Klasky

This book was chosen by my book club. I didn't think much of it until I began reading. The main character is Jane & she's a librarian. Well, who doesn't want to read about themselves except that's as far as we are similar. She lives in a cute cottage behind her library and accidentally transformed a cat statue in her basement in to a flesh & blood familiar. A very fun read about Jane's escapades of discovery the realm of witchcraft in Washington D.C. and her new found powers. The supportive characters are great too.




Devil Bones by Kathy Reichs

I really enjoy this series about forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan. This is the eleventh novel. This series inspired the television show Bones. In this installment Tempe encounters voodoo, Wiccan, an old love, the return of a newer love, the violent death of a colleague and falling off the wagon (she's an alcoholic). Reichs really explores Tempe's frailties, revealing all of her demons and making you love her even more for it.

No comments: